Thursday, July 18, 2013

Uh oh!

Oops, i goofed. In the event that you've been paying more attention than I have to what is unfolding on this page you will realize that the first step in dealing with Resistance is not Analysis, it's Information. There is nothing to analyze until the Information is identified.

So, here's part of being me that makes it difficult to be me. While I speak with clients all the time about the idea of multi-tasking and the illusion that it's not only possible but laudatory. We talk about how most of the mistakes they are criticizing themselves about are lapses of attention and focus. So what was I doing yesterday? Only trying to do more than one thing at a time. Furthermore, there was no reason I needed to do that. Yes, i had plenty to do yesterday. And I had plenty of time to do it in. Yesterday's 24 were all the hours I needed to live my life of yesterday.

But part of the way that I go blind in the resistant part of my process is to have all kinds of distracting behavior I can lapse into without giving it any thought. Actually they are designed to make sure I don't give it any thought. If I thought about what I was doing I'd get to it. Just like I eventually do when I do my laundry. Apparently there is a part of me that doesn't like satisfaction as much as discomfort. I think I trust that state of chaos and confusion more than I trust satisfaction and comfort. We'll come back to this at a later date.

It appears that one key to getting to the Information part is discomfort. But discomfort by itself isn't enough. I need to be willing to look at the source of discomfort. I need to realize that my discomfort is all about the laundry not being and not getting done. And that's another way of saying I'm stuck. The laundry isn't getting done, and I'm not doing something else which would be equally valuable.

And even the valuable needs to be rated. Let's say I have a project to complete and I have 10 days to have it ready. And I have the laundry piling up. I don't actually want to do the laundry now (or ever) and I like the project so I may decide that now is a good time to get started on the project. 

What a perfect distraction! But if I'm thinking that I am actually hurting myself. I am taking care of something that has little or no urgency attached to it and I also have the mounting anxiety that I'll need the laundry done and all I'll have done is a part accomplishment of a project which is not important from a time standpoint. Which means there's no reward for getting started early. Unless and until I take care of the most important thing that also has some urgency attached to it, I will remain stuck.

Now the Analysis phase comes into play. Which I already wrote about. The next post is Reaction/Response.

See you soon.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here is my problem:
But part of the way that I go blind in the resistant part of my process is to have all kinds of distracting behavior I can lapse into without giving it any thought. Actually they are designed to make sure I don't give it any thought. If I thought about what I was doing I'd get to it. Just like I eventually do when I do my laundry. Apparently there is a part of me that doesn't like satisfaction as much as discomfort. I think I trust that state of chaos and confusion more than I trust satisfaction and comfort. We'll come back to this at a later date.

Exactly, but I was programmed to believe my distractions were ways to survive. My problem is that I am now in total discomfort but paying attention to the distraction, nursing it, when I need to let it bleed out.